The 5th Annual New York City Drone Film Festival is less than a week away — and it’s set to be not just a single event, but an entire weekend of drone-filled festivities.
This year’s event runs from Friday, March 1 through Saturday, March 2 at New Jersey’s Liberty Science Center (yes, it’s called the “New York” festival, though it’s actually located not far away in New Jersey).
The 2019 iteration event includes after parties and a demo by Skydio, a Silicon Valley-based drone startup behind the Skydio R1 drone, an incredibly smart drone with 13 cameras enabling it to see on all sides and avoid obstacles around it.
Here’s the expected schedule of events:
Friday March 1st, 2019 @ LIBERTY SCIENCE CENTER
- 4:45pm DOORS
- 5pm – 5:45pm: LEGAL & POLICY PANEL
- 6pm – 6:45pm: DRONE TECHNOLOGY PANEL
- 7:30pm – 10:30pm: NEW YORK CITY DRONE FILM FESTIVALSCREENINGS & AWARD SHOW
- 10:30pm – Midnight: AFTERPARTY with DJ HESTA PRYNN
Saturday March 2nd, 2019 – DAY OF DRONES @ LIBERTY SCIENCE CENTER
- 10am – 4pm: DRONE EXPO
- 10am – 4pm: FLIGHT DEMONSTRATION CAGE
- 10am – 4pm: SKYDIO R1 DEMOS
- 10am – 4pm: BEGINNER DRONE SCHOOL
- 10am – 4pm: FREESTYLE FPV COMPETITION
- 10am – 4pm: CLASSES AND PANELS – A LARGE SLATE ON TOPICS RELATED TO DRONES, FILMMAKING, INDUSTRIAL USE AND POLICY
- 10am – 4pm: BONUS SCREENINGS OF NYCDFF V WINNERS
- 10am – 4pm: AUTEL ROBOTICS FLIGHT DEMO CAGE
- Time TBD: SCREENING OF JORDAN RUBIN’S “THE DRONE” & CRAIG HICKERSON’S “SOME KIND OF DRONE”
The event claims to be the world’s first event dedicated to celebrating the art of drone cinematography, and markets itself as an international platform for filmmakers from every corner of the globe to exhibit their work in front of industry professionals and the drone community. The festival was founded by Randy Scott Slavin.
Some of the weekend’s events are ticketed, and New York City Drone Film Festival ticket prices run from $15 to $25.